Bogus Callers are people who visit or phone someone under false pretences, typically for the purpose of committing theft or fraud.
We have compiled information on what to do if a Bogus Caller comes to your door.
Bogus Callers are people who visit or phone someone under false pretences, typically for the purpose of theft or fruad.
They could target anyone at any time, but tend to focus on the elderly. They may pretend to be contractors, from a utility company or even represting the local council or Housing Association.
- If you have a door chain, make sure you use it when you are opening the door to individuals you do not know or recognise.
- Always ask for proof of identifation and check it carefully, it MUST have a photograph of the person on it, and should feature some type of logo from the company they say they are representing.
- Remember, we will always contact you first for any planned maintenance going on in the area or your property.
- If you feel intimidated and they refuse to leave, contact the police on 999.
- If you ask them to leave and they do, contact 101 and let the association know of the incident.
- If you are ever in doubt about who they are, never let them into your home.