Gas Safety 

Gas leaks are incredibly dangerous. A natural gas leak in a house can cause potential fires, and inhaling can cause natural gas poisoning. 

Here is some advice on what to do in the event of a Gas leak in your home.

How to tell if there is a Gas leak in your Home
  • The main thing you will notice if there is a gas leak in your home is the smell. This will present as sulfur or rotten eggs.
  • You may also notice hissing or whistling noises or bubbles in the water coming out of the tap.
What to do if you have a Gas Leak

First, you must call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999.

If you are a British Sign Language user you can use SignLive to contact them directly.

After you have called the National Gas Emergency Services:

  • If you can, turn off the gas supply using the emregency control valve on your meter.
  • Open all your windows and doors to let the gas out and some fresh air in.
  • DO NOT switch anything electrical on or off.
  • Put out all naked flames, do not smoke, strike matches or do anything which could make the gas catch fire.
  • If you have any electrical security entry phones or locks, do not use them.