Dog fouling is a major concern, not just because of the mess it causes but also because of the health risks. Dogs can deposit roundworm eggs in their feces, which become infectious after about 3 weeks and can remain for up to 2 years.
Anyone, but particularly children, can run the risk of picking up and swallowing the eggs. The eggs then hatch in the intestine, burrowing through the intestine wall into the blood stream and pass into the body.
Possible symptoms include aches, dizziness, and nausea, can even be as serious as asthma and pneumonia and in rare cases eye disease and loss of vision can be caused.
As a dog owner you can help to reduce the danger of roundworm infection:
• If your dog uses a public area or pavement, always ‘scoop the poop’ using either a designated ‘poop scoop’, nappy sack or plastic bag – turning it inside out to seal the feces inside.
Either dispose of it in a designated dog bin provided by the council, or if unavailable double wrap and dispose of as normal. If you don’t clean up after your dog, you risk a fine of £80.
It is an offence under the Dog Fouling (Scotland) Act 2003 for anyone in charge of a dog to not immediately clean up after the animal if it fouls in any public place or on private land without the owner’s consent.